Spinach Risotto with Peas
Plump, starchy grains of Arborio rice give risotto the creamiest consistency.
Everyday Food, April 2007
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch (8 to 10 ounces) flat-leaf spinach, trimmed, cleaned, dried, and finely chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, combine broth with 2 cups water. Bring just to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice; cook, stirring, until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring, until absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of hot broth mixture; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Continue adding broth mixture, 1 cup at a time, waiting for liquid to be absorbed before adding more, stirring occasionally, until rice is just tender and creamy with a little liquid remaining in the pan, 20 to 25 minutes total (you may not need all the broth mixture).
- Stir in spinach, peas, Parmesan, and butter; cook until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, with more Parmesan, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.