Historically, Indian chutneys were cooked in the sun. This apricot version, heated on the stove, has bright flavors in common with its predecessors.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 pound apricots, peeled, quartered, and pitted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup good-quality honey
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer onion to a large saucepan. Add apricots, sugar, honey, raisins, and vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Pour chutney into a large bowl. Let cool completely. Serve at room temperature. Chutney can be refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.