- 1 bottle (1 liter) best-quality vodka
- 20 fresh shiso leaves, plus 8 more for garnish
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Small ice cubes
- Combine vodka and shiso in a large bowl. Cover, and let stand overnight at room temperature. Strain into a pitcher, and discard shiso.
- Add vermouth and lime juice to vodka. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add 1/2 cup vodka mixture, and shake for 45 seconds. Pour into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with a shiso leaf. Repeat, and serve immediately.
Shiso is a delicate Asian herb with tender, slightly fuzzy leaves and an almost minty flavor. Gin may be substituted for vodka.