Spring Cupcakes with Sugared Flowers
These dainty confections, iced pale purple, are fit for a modern-day queen. The hue of the topping hints at its soothing floral flavor and aroma, achieved by steeping dried lavender in milk.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2007
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Lavender Icing (http://www.marthastewart.com/263987/lavender-icing)
- Sugared Flowers (http://www.marthastewart.com/285076/sugared-flowers)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Put butter and chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until set and a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely.
- Spoon icing over cupcakes, covering tops completely. Let set, about 1 hour. Decorate with sugared flowers. Cupcakes can be stored in single layers in airtight containers for up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.