Shells with Grilled Chicken and Mozzarella
Bowls of Caprese-style chicken pasta -- with tomatoes, cheese, and herbs -- answer the question of what to have for dinner tonight. You need only 30 minutes, start to finish.
Everyday Food, July/August 2007
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Vegetable oil, for grates
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets
- 8 ounces medium pasta shells
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta. Meanwhile, heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from grill, and cut into thin strips, halving if long.
- Cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot. Add chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, parsley, Parmesan, and butter. Toss to combine. Add reserved pasta water a little at a time to create a sauce that coats shells (you may not need all the water). Serve with more Parmesan.
MAKE-AHEAD IDEA If you’d like, grill the chicken up to two days beforehand. Then let it cool, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate. Bring chicken to room temperature before adding to pasta.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.