Coconut-Topped Meringues Infused with Vanilla Bean
These crisp, airy meringues can make a delectable dessert when served alone or with freshly sliced tropical fruit.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2007
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (pod reserved for another use)
- 2 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Using a 4-inch round template such as an inverted bowl, draw 6 circles, evenly spaced, on parchment; place, marked sides down, on a baking sheet.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Beat in vanilla seeds. Gradually add sugar; beat until combined. Raise speed to high, and beat until stiff (but not dry) peaks form, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon meringue onto each circle (do not smooth tops). Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon coconut over half of each mound. Bake, leaving oven door slightly ajar, until outside is crisp and bottom can be removed easily from parchment, about 3 hours. Let cool. Meringues can be stored in a single layer in an airtight container up to 2 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.