Classic Creamy Coleslaw
The classic slaw. This tangle of cabbage and carrot is dressed with a balance of tangy mustard, mayonnaise, and sour cream.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2004
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 small green cabbage, (about 1 3/4 pounds), finely shredded
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks or coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, coarsely grated (optional)
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a small bowl. Refrigerate dressing, covered, until ready to use, or up to 2 days.
- Put cabbage, carrots, and onion (if desired) in a large bowl. Pour in dressing, and toss thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, until slaw begins to soften, 1 to 2 hours. If not using immediately, refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days. Just before serving, toss coleslaw again.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.