Creamy Calcium Grits
You will find quick-cooking grits and old-fashioned stone-ground grits in most grocery stores. Stone-ground grits generally have more flavor. Cooking them with milk and cottage cheese gives these grits an extra calcium boost. Serve with a poached egg on top for a hearty breakfast.
Photography: MARIA ROBLEDO
Martha Stewart Baby, Special Issue 2000
- 2 1/2 cups skim or 1 percent milk
- 1/2 cup grits
- 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Add grits, reduce heat to low, stir, and cover. Cook old-fashioned grits 15 to 20 minutes or quick-cooking grits about 5 minutes, until thick.
- Stir in cottage cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.