If you don't have a pizza stone, use an inverted baking sheet and increase the baking time by two to three minutes. A piece of plain, unwaxed floss is perfect for thinly slicing the Taleggio cheese.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2007
- Yield Makes 2
Serves 14 to 16
- 1 envelope (1 scant tablespoon) active dry yeast
- Pinch of granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, plus 2 teaspoons leaves
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 10 ounces Taleggio cheese, rind removed, thinly sliced
- 3/4 ounce fresh black truffle (optional)
- Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- Place oven rack in middle position, and place a pizza stone on rack. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine yeast, sugar, and water in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir until yeast and sugar have dissolved. Add 6 tablespoons oil, the chopped rosemary, flour, coarse salt, and Parmesan, and beat on medium speed until dough forms a ball, about 2 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic. Lightly brush a medium bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut in half, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment, roll 1 portion of dough into a 9-by-16-inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with 2 tablespoons oil. Arrange half the Taleggio on top, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon whole rosemary leaves. Slide parchment and dough onto an inverted baking sheet, and use the sheet to slide parchment and dough onto the preheated stone in oven.
- Bake, rotating bread once, until crust is just golden and cheese is bubbling, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer parchment and bread to a wire rack. Shave half the truffle over top if desired, and sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Repeat with remaining dough, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, and Taleggio. Slice into wedges or squares, and serve warm or at room temperature.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.