Potato and Squash Mash
Everyday Food, November 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Yield Serves 10
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and halved (or quartered, if large)
- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch chunks (6 cups)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup half-and-half
- In a large pot, combine potatoes and squash; cover with salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes and squash are easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 20 minutes.
- Drain in a large colander; return potatoes and squash to the pot. Stir over medium heat until dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add half-and-half; bring to a simmer. Pour over potatoes and squash; season generously with salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.