Quickest Mushroom-Barley Soup
Have a pot of soup ready in just a half hour with quick-cooking barley. Lemon juice, parsley, and Parmesan wake up the mushrooms. Sauteing mushrooms and aromatics quickly builds a foundation of flavor. Finish the soup by adding remaining ingredients and simmering briefly.
Everyday Food, October 2008
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 1/2 cups canned reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 chunk (1 ounce) Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add broth and 2 cups water to pan; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat to a simmer; add barley, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove soup from heat; stir in parsley and lemon juice. Serve garnished with Parmesan.
Quick-cooking barley is pre-steamed and takes only 10 minutes to cook (regular pearl barley takes more than twice the amount of time and requires a lot more liquid).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.