Lamb Shanks and Potatoes
Everyday Food, December 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 8 hours 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 strips orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds lamb shanks, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/4 pounds small new potatoes, scrubbed well, halved (or quartered, if large)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together tomatoes and puree, tomato paste, jam, garlic, orange zest, rosemary, ginger, and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper. Add lamb and potatoes, stirring to combine.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 5 hours), until lamb and potatoes are tender. Season again with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.