To make this recipe in advance, dice the beet and prepare as directed in step one. Refrigerate it in the liquid, covered, up to one day.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2004
- 1/2 cup peeled, diced (1/4 inch) beet (about 1 medium beet)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring 3/4 cup water, diced beet, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer beet, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid; drain beet. (If you have less than 1/2 cup liquid, add water to fill.) Return beet and liquid to pan. Add butter, coriander, and cumin; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork. Stir in apricots, currants, zest, and orange juice. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.