Chocolate Cupcake Cones
Be the hero at your child's birthday party with these faux ice cream cones.
Martha Stewart Living, May 1998
- 14 flat-bottom wafer ice-cream cones
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Stand cones on an ungreased baking sheet. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set dry ingredients aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and set over medium heat; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat, and let water simmer. In the metal bowl of an electric mixer, combine milk, 2 1/2 ounces chocolate, and 1 stick butter. Set bowl over simmering water, stirring occasionally, until butter and chocolate have melted. Remove bowl from heat; stir in 1 cup sugar.
- Transfer bowl to mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add reserved dry ingredients, and beat until well combined. Add egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat to combine. Pour batter into cones, filling each cone three-quarters full.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven, and bake until domes form and a cake tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the icing: Combine remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and cream in a heavy saucepan. Set over high heat, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, without stirring, 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat; add remaining 2 1/2 ounces chocolate, stirring until melted. Stir in remaining 4 tablespoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Chill, stirring occasionally, until icing is cool enough to spread. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over cupcake tops. Serve.
You can also make 12 traditional cupcakes from this recipe: Line a muffin tin with baking cups, pour in batter, and bake 25 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.