Portobello, Broccoli, and Red-Pepper Melts
The broiler works double time for these knife-and-fork sandwiches, caramelizing the veggies, then melting the Gouda.
Everyday Food, March 2008
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets (stalk discarded)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 portobello mushrooms (stems removed), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 4 thick slices country bread
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss broccoli with oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil, tossing once or twice, until broccoli begins to char, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers to sheet; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Broil, tossing once or twice, until vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Place bread on a work surface. Dividing evenly, spread with mayonnaise mixture, and top with vegetables, then cheese. Place on baking sheet, and broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.