Coconut Cream Pie with Chocolate Macaroon Crust
Martha Stewart Living, February 2003
Yield Makes one 9-inch pie
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure coconut extract
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Chocolate Macaroon Crust (http://www.marthastewart.com/281332/chocolate-macaroon-crust)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 cup toasted shaved coconut, or as desired, for garnish
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water. Let stand for 5 minutes. In a medium saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, sugar, gelatin mixture, coconut extract, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks with cornstarch until combined.
- Slowly whisk one-fourth of the hot-milk mixture into egg yolks; return to saucepan. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture returns to a boil, about 1 minute. Stir in shredded coconut. Transfer to a large bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
- Pour filling into the prepared crust. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours, and up to overnight. Spread whipped cream on top; garnish with toasted coconut, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.