Cook these vegetables just before serving.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2000
- 2 pounds small or baby beets (about 12), stems trimmed to 1 inch long
- Coarse salt
- 3 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes (about 24), peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds baby carrots, peeled
- 2 pounds fennel bulbs (about 3 bulbs), trimmed, cut into sixths
- Fill two large pots with water. To one pot add beets and salt; to the other pot add potatoes, carrots, fennel, and salt, and bring both pots to a boil. Reduce to medium heat, and cook until vegetables are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes for the beets, and about 10 minutes for the potatoes, carrots, and fennel. Drain beets separately; when cool enough to handle, peel. Cover vegetables; keep warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.