Chili-Rubbed Flank Steak With Cabbage Salad And Polenta Rounds
Everyday Food, November 2005
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 cups shredded (from half a 2-pound cabbage) red cabbage
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tube (18 ounces) prepared plain polenta
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. In a large bowl, whisk vinegar and 3 teaspoons oil; add cabbage. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Set aside.
- Cut polenta crosswise into 8 equal slices. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add polenta slices and cook until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate; season with salt.
- Combine chili powder, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place steak on a broiler-proof pan. Coat both sides with remaining teaspoon oil and spice mixture. Broil (without turning) about 10 minutes for medium-rare; let rest 5 minutes. Slice thinly; serve with cabbage salad and polenta rounds.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.