Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- Yield Makes enough for 1 torte
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- Heat sugar and 4 teaspoons water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Continue to cook, without stirring, until very deep amber. Carefully pour in 1 cup cream, whisking. Whisk in milk.
- Put gelatin and 6 tablespoons water into a small bowl. Let stand until gelatin has softened, about 7 minutes.
- Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Whisk egg yolks into caramel mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture registers 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Add gelatin, and whisk until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl set in ice-water bath. Let cool, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Beat remaining cup cream until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into caramel cream. Cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or overnight).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.