These elegant and crunchy little bundles are much easier to make than they look.
Everyday Food, September 2003
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 large eggs
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 2 ounces feta cheese, lightly crumbled
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 phyllo sheets, thawed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Squeeze out excess water from spinach, and add spinach to eggs. Fold in breadcrumbs, feta, scallions, dill, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Lay 1 phyllo sheet on a clean work surface. Brush phyllo lightly with oil, and lay another sheet on top. Repeat layering phyllo sheets until all are used. Cut the stacked sheets into four squares.
- Gently press phyllo squares into the four outer cups of a nonstick cupcake pan, being careful not to tear bottom. Spoon 1/4 of the spinach mixture into each lined cup. Gather excess dough at top of each filled cup, and twist to seal.
- Bake bundles in oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
FILLING THE CUPS Donâ€™t overfill, and make sure the spinach is drained thoroughly to prevent any from seeping out while cooking.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.