Chicken Stew with Carrots, Chickpeas, and Raisins
An ovenproof bag is used to cook skinless chicken thighs and keep them moist; the stew is served over couscous.
Photography: Ellie Miller
Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 2 pounds skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 box (5.8 ounces) couscous
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup drained canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place flour in an ovenproof bag; shake to coat inside. Place bag in a small roasting pan.
- Season chicken with the salt, and place in bag. Add broth, chickpeas, carrots, raisins, onion, garlic, ginger, thyme, mustard, and zest to bag; tie bag closed, and shake to combine. Set in pan, and make four 1/2-inch slits in bag near opening. Bake chicken mixture in bag in the roasting pan until chicken is very tender, 1 hour 30 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the couscous according to package instructions, omitting any fat. Serve chicken and sauce over couscous.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.