- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (2 small whole breasts)
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup finely diced fennel
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups halved red seedless grapes
- 6 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
- Olive-oil, cooking spray
- Combine salt and pepper in a small bowl. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with half of the salt-pepper mixture; place in the skillet. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the pan; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine yogurt, mustard, chives, tarragon, and remaining salt-pepper mixture. Core apple, and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Place apple in a medium bowl with lemon juice, and toss to combine. Add fennel, celery, and grapes. Cut reserved chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Add to salad with yogurt dressing; stir to combine. Divide salad among 6 slices pumpernickel bread, and sprinkle with watercress.
The chicken salad can also be served over a bed of mixed greens for a lighter lunch.