- 1 pound dried black beans
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and halved
- 3 strips bacon, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/8 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- Place beans in a medium bowl. Add enough water to cover. Let soak overnight; drain.
- Transfer beans, 1 bay leaf, and 1/2 green pepper to a medium saucepan along with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and let simmer until liquid is nearly absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, render the bacon fat. Meanwhile, chop remaining 1/2 green pepper. Add oil to skillet, along with green and red peppers, onion, remaining bay leaf, salt, oregano, and cumin. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Add to the beans along with 2 cups water. Stir to combine. Cook until beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. If necessary, add more water to prevent the beans from drying out.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.