Curried Chicken Salad on Whole-Wheat Pitas
Lighter and spicier, chicken salad is dressed in a lemony mix of nonfat yogurt with just a touch of mayonnaise. The flavor is boosted by aromatic curry powder and a kick of jalapeno. Almonds are a source of "good" fat; apple chunks supply fiber.
Martha Stewart Living
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish, plus 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno, quartered
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
- 6 tablespoons plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat pitas (2 1/2 ounces each)
- 4 large Boston lettuce leaves
- Fill a medium (4-quart) stockpot halfway with water; add 1 lemon half, garlic, cilantro sprigs, and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken. Simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 16 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate; discard liquid. Tent chicken with foil, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Stir yogurt, mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice from remaining lemon half, the curry powder, scallions, almonds, chopped cilantro, apple, and salt; season with pepper. Stir in chicken.
- Toast pitas. Top each with a lettuce leaf. Spoon 1 cup chicken salad over lettuce, and garnish with a cilantro sprig.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.