No guest will be able to resist this bite-size ball of gooey goodness.
Everyday Food, December 2010
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup panko or plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound bocconcini (bite-size fresh mozzarella balls)
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Tomato sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place flour in a bowl. In another bowl, beat eggs. In a third bowl, combine panko with thyme. Season each with salt and pepper. Working with 2 bocconcini at a time, dredge in flour, shaking off excess, coat in egg, and roll in breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- In a small saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high until pinch of breadcrumbs sizzles and floats to the top when added. Fry bocconcini, 4 at a time, until golden brown, turning occasionally, 2 minutes per batch. With a slotted spoon, transfer balls to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Keep warm in oven and repeat with remaining bocconcini. Serve with tomato sauce for dipping.
Serve with tomato sauce as a dip.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.