- <b>For the dough:</b>
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (115 degrees)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons (two 1/4-ounce envelopes) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for bowl and baking sheet
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Coarse salt
- 4 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- <b>For the filling:</b>
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup crumbled soft goat cheese (5 ounces)
- 32 thin slices soppressata (8 ounces)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 ounces baby arugula (about 10 cups)
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- Make the dough: Pour warm
water into a large bowl; sprinkle
with yeast, and let stand until
foamy, about 5 minutes. Whisk
oil, sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt
into yeast mixture. Add flour,
and stir until a sticky dough
forms. Turn out dough onto a
floured surface, and knead
until smooth, about 8 minutes.
Transfer to an oiled bowl, and
turn to coat. Let stand, covered,
in a warm place until doubled
in volume, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the filling:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread
tomatoes on a rimmed baking
sheet, drizzle with 3 tablespoons
oil, and season with salt. Roast,
flipping after 30 minutes, until
shrunken and slightly dehydrated,
45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool.
Raise oven temperature to 500 degrees
(with convection on if possible).
- Turn out dough onto a lightly
floured surface, and divide into
8 pieces. Form each into a ball.
Let rest, draped with plastic
wrap, for 15 minutes.
- Place 1 dough ball on a lightly
oiled baking sheet, and shape
into a 7 1/2-inch round. Arrange a
layer of tomatoes on half of the
dough, and dot with 2 tablespoons
goat cheese. Top with 4 slices
soppressata. Tear off pieces of
mozzarella, and place over
top. Fold dough over to enclose
filling, but do not seal. Repeat
with remaining dough, tomatoes,
goat cheese, soppressata, and
mozzarella (arranging 4 sandwiches
per baking sheet). Bake
until golden and cooked through,
about 10 minutes. Remove
from oven. Let cool for at least
15 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, toss arugula and
basil with lemon juice and remaining
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons
oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Open each sandwich, and
fill with arugula-basil mixture.
Cut each in half.
Sun-dried-tomato pesto (1 tablespoon per sandwich) can be substituted for the tomatoes. For a vegetarian version, use 1/2 cup chopped olives
and 12 ounces mushrooms, sauteed,
in place of the soppressata.