Thumbprints and Ball Cookies
Try one of our thumbprint or ball cookie variations:
Candied Orange Peel Thumbprints
Chocolate-Dipped Ball Cookies
Marbelized Ball Cookies
Peppermint Ball Cookies
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Yield Makes about 5 dozen
- 1 batch <a href="/recipe/basic-vanilla-dough">Vanilla Dough</a> or <a href="/recipe/chocolate-cookie-dough">Chocolate Dough</a> (or 1/2 batch each for marbleized cookies)
- <b>For Thumbprints:</b>
- 3/4 cup chopped pistachios, crushed peppermints, or sanding sugar
- 1/2 cup apricot jam, raspberry jam, or 1 batch <a href="/recipe/ganache-cookie-recipe">Ganache</a>
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit mixed with 1 tablespoon fruit jam or 1 cup chopped candied orange peel
- <b>For Ball Cookies:</b>
- 1/2 cup sanding sugar or 1 cup crushed peppermints
- 1 1/2 cups melted chocolate (12 ounces) plus 1/3 cup crushed peppermints
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. (For marbleized cookies, roll out a 1/2-inch-thick rope each of vanilla and chocolate dough. Pinch 3/4-inch piece from each rope and roll together into a ball.) Roll in finely chopped nuts, crushed candies, or sanding sugar, if using. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing each 1 inch apart.
- For thumbprints: Press a well into the center of each using your finger. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Remove from oven, and press well again with handle end of a wooden spoon. Bake until firm, 7 to 9 minutes more.For ball cookies: Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees until firm, 14 to 16 minutes.
- Let cool completely. Spoon jam, Ganache, dried fruit, or candied orange filling into thumbprints. For Chocolate-Dipped Ball Cookies, dip cooled cookies in melted chocolate; sprinkle with candies, and let set in refrigerator.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.