Meaty, salty pancetta plays up the soft, savory sweetness of vinegar-poached figs.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes
- Serves 8
Yield Makes 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries (<a href="http://penzeys.com" target=_"blank">penzeys.com</a>)
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup dried Black Mission figs, stemmed
- 12 ounces pancetta, sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- Bring vinegar, water, sugar, juniper berries, peppercorns, and cloves to a boil in a small saucepan. Add figs, and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, to bring to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Transfer figs to a cutting board using a slotted spoon; cut in half. Wrap a pancetta strip around each half. Transfer, seam side down, to a wire rack set on a baking sheet. Bake until pancetta is browned, about 30 minutes. Secure each with a toothpick. Serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.