Brittle can be a showcase for a variety of ingredients, giving each homemade batch its own
texture and flavor. For recipes and inspiration, try one of our our variations: Lemon and Almond Brittle Pine Nut and Rosemary BrittleCashew and Cayenne BrittlePepita and Lavender BrittleCoconut and Spice BrittleEspresso and Walnut Brittle
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Makes 1 sheet (about 9 by 11 inches)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- Mix-ins, according to variation
- Coat a 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheet with
cooking spray. Bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming, until sugar dissolves. Cook,
swirling occasionally, until mixture just starts to turn golden around edge.
- Stir in mix-ins. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is pale amber, about 8 minutes. Pour onto baking sheet without spreading. Let cool. Break into pieces.
Brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.