Make Neil Kleinberg's French-style, three-fold omelet -- a fluffier version of the American classic -- with favorite fillings such as cheese, bacon, and savory vegetables. The recipe comes from Neil's "Clinton Street Baking Company Cookbook."Watch the video to see Neil demonstrate the "flip and tuck" folding technique.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010
- 3 eggs, preferably cage-free organic
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Grated cheese, such as Swiss, cheddar, goat, Monterey Jack, or Muenster, for filling (optional)
- Spinach, for filling (optional)
- Chopped tomatoes, for filling (optional)
- Mushrooms, for filling (optional)
- Cooked bacon or ham, for filling (optional)
- Roasted red peppers, for filling (optional)
- Caramelized onions, for filling (optional)
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Beat eggs back and forth with a fork to break them up and mix thoroughly until whites and yolks are indistinguishable from one another and they resemble foamy orange juice.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add butter and swirl until melted and foamy but not browned. If butter begins to brown, the pan is too hot.
- Pour eggs into skillet; it should be hot enough that eggs begin to curl up around the edges. Agitate the pan and move the eggs with a spatula as if you are giving them a light scramble, until a little creamy and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. The entire bottom of the pan should be covered with egg. Turn off heat and add desired fillings.
- Hold the handle of the skillet and place skillet edge in the middle of a plate. Flip one end of the omelet over with your hand or a spatula to partly cover the filling. Next, using your hand or a spatula, gently roll omelet over again. Gently shake skillet and nudge it onto the plate with spatula or hand so that it is seam-side down. When omelet is out of skillet, form the omelet on the plate with your hand, tucking in the sides to make a plump oval packet. The top of the omelet will be fluffy and blond without any browning and ends hidden underneath.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.