For a fresh take on the classic BLT sandwich, try this salmon-centered recipe from Travel Channel host Adam Richman.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, plus more as needed
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 green tomato, sliced
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 slices brioche
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 cup watercress
- Prepared fig jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together wasabi paste, maple syrup, and sesame oil until well combined. If mixture seems too thick for a glaze, add a little more sesame oil to thin.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet and brush tops with glaze, reserving about a tablespoon. Transfer to oven; cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomato slices and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for 1 minute more. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel and add bacon. Cook, turning once, until crisp; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside and reserve fat in skillet. Add bread slices to skillet; cook, turning once, until bread is toasted. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Remove salmon from oven and brush with remaining wasabi glaze. Set broiler to high and broil until salmon is medium-rare, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise and dill. Spread mayonnaise mixture on one side of two slices of bread. Top with salmon, bacon, watercress, and tomatoes. Brush one side of remaining two slices of bread with fig jam and top with remaining 2 slices bread to form a sandwich; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.