Use this royal icing recipe to decorate Noah's Ark Sugar Cookies.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- Prep Time 5 mintues
- Total Time 5 mintues
- Yield Makes about 2 cups
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar, plus more if needed
- 1/3 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon meringue powder (<a href="http://nycake.com" target=_"blank">nycake.com</a>)
- Gel-paste food coloring in Black (for gray icing), Ivory mixed with Egg Yellow (for gold icing), and Red Red (<a href="http://nycake.com" target=_"blank">nycake.com</a>)
- Beat sugar, water, and meringue powder with a mixer on low speed until smooth, about 7 minutes. Icing should be the consistency of glue. (If icing
is too thick, mix in a little more water. If icing is too thin, add more sugar.)
- Beat in food coloring, 1 drop at a time, until desired color is achieved. If making more than 1 color, divide icing and work in batches.
Icing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Stir before using.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.