Sweet Potato Spoon Bread
Martha first tasted this delicious sweet-potato spoon bread at The Elms, a restaurant and tavern owned by Brendan and Cris Walsh in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
This recipe, part of Martha's Ultimate Thanksgiving Menu 2007, was adapted from Martha Stewart Living, November 1997.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes until soft when pierced with a knife, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool. Peel, and discard skins.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine cornmeal, milk, butter, brown sugar, spices, salt, and 1 cup water. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Working in batches if necessary, place cornmeal mixture, sweet potatoes, flour, honey, eggs, and cream in a food processor. Process until smooth; pour into dish. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.