Pickled Beet Salad
Celebrating 2000, Special Issue 2000
- 6 beets, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 3 oranges
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 pound watercress
- Place beet and onion pieces in medium bowl; toss to combine. Set aside. Working over a bowl, cut away peel, pith, and outer membranes from oranges; cut flesh away from membranes, collecting sections and juice in bowl. Squeeze juice from membranes before discarding them. Set fruit and juice aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Pour liquid over reserved beet-and-onion mixture; let stand until vinegar mixture reaches room temperature, about 30 minutes. Add reserved orange segments, juice, and dried cranberries; toss gently.
- Place watercress in large serving bowl. With a slotted spoon, spoon beet mixture over watercress. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.