- Oil, for grates
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for rolls (optional)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, well drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 precooked bratwurst sausages (3 ounces each)
- 4 hard rolls, halved horizontally
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickles
- Potato chips, for serving
- Heat grill to medium-low; lightly oil grates. In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add sauerkraut, sugar, caraway seeds, and 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Simmer until sauerkraut is heated through, 3 to 5 minutes; set aside.
- Grill sausages, turning frequently, until golden brown and warmed through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Grill rolls, cut side down, until warm, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread lightly with butter, if using, and mustard. Halve sausages lengthwise; fill each roll with 2 halves and pickles. Serve with sauerkraut and potato chips.
This recipe calls for easy-to-find precooked brats (look near the other sausages). For fresh ones, increase the grilling time by 5 minutes, until they're cooked through.