- 1 cup very thinly sliced peeled, halved butternut squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 ball <u>Hazelnut Pizza Dough</u>
- 6 to 10 small or torn sage leaves
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Garnish: hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven, preferably convection, to 500 degrees. Drizzle squash with oil, and season with salt; toss.
- Spread cornmeal on a baking sheet. Stretch dough into a 9 1/2-inch round; transfer to baking sheet. Drizzle dough with oil, and arrange squash on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Bake for 6 minutes (10 minutes if not using convection oven). Meanwhile toss sage with garlic, and drizzle with oil to coat. Sprinkle sage mixture over pizza. Bake until crust is golden brown and cooked through, 6 minutes more (10 minutes more if not using convection oven). Garnish with hazelnuts, and drizzle with oil.
Pizza may also be prepared on a pizza peel and carefully transferred to a preheated pizza stone, set in oven, for cooking.
To make this recipe as prepared on "The Martha Stewart Show," top squash with 1/2 cup ricotta cheese before baking and substitute 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced, for garlic, if desired.