- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck (80 percent lean)
- 8 split brioche or soft dinner rolls
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add onion, and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add sugar and vinegar; toss to coat. Let mixture cool. In a small bowl, combine garlic and mayonnaise.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Divide ground beef into 8 balls. Press each lightly to form 3/4-inch-thick patties. Season each with salt and pepper. Grill 3 minutes per side for medium. Serve sliders on rolls with pickled onions and garlic mayonnaise.
Indoor method: In an oiled grill pan or cast-iron skillet, cook burgers over medium-high.