Tomato, Avocado, and Cilantro Salad
This simple and refreshing salad goes well on its own, in a sandwich, or as a side with anything barbecued.
From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
Mad Hungry, September 2010
- 6 small tomatoes, cored and cut in eighths
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons mild vinegar, such as champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced lengthwise
- 3/4 cup fresh basil or cilantro leaves
- In a small bowl, gently toss the tomatoes and onion with salt, pepper, olive oil, and the vinegar. Lift the vegetables out and spread on a serving platter. Lay the avocado slices on top and pour the tomato-vinegar juices onto the avocados. Scatter with fresh basil or cilantro leaves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.