Creative presentation can turn classic cocktail shrimp into a gruesome Halloween hors d'oeuvre.
- 2 3/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cooked
- 1 tablespoon powdered gelatin
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepared cocktail sauce, for serving
- Arrange shrimp in a 6 1/2- to 7-cup brain-shaped mold with tails facing upwards in vertical rows.
- Fill a glass bowl with 1 2/3 cups cold water; sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, cook gelatin mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin has dissolved. Whisk in lemon juice, horseradish, salt, Old Bay, and cayenne pepper until well combined.
- Pour gelatin mixture over shrimp in mold. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down on the surface. Fit a plate into mold and weight with cans. Refrigerate until set, about 5 hours. Invert mold onto a serving platter; serve with cocktail sauce.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.