Photo: Raymond Hom
Fourth of July Summer Berry Pies
These mini pies are deliciously patriotic when topped with stars and stripes. You can also make one 9-inch pie (variations follow).Large Pie Variations To make one 9-inch pie, use
2 small disks of pate brisee. For the Raspberry-Strawberry PieUse full filling recipe. Bake for
1 hour 30 minutes (tent with foil after 1 hour).For the Blueberry-Blackberry Pie Combine 6 cups berries, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and a pinch of salt for the filling. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes (tent with foil
after 1 hour).
Martha Stewart Living, July 2010
- Prep Time 45 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 35 minutes
- Yield Makes six 5-inch pies
- 2 large disks Pate Brisee (http://www.marthastewart.com/284144/pate-brisee)
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 7 1/2 cups mixed raspberries and sliced strawberries or blueberries and blackberries
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Roll out 1 disk pate brisee to about 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out six 6-inch circles. Press dough into bottoms and up sides of six 5-inch (1 1/4 inches deep; cooks dream.com) pie plates. Trim excess dough flush with edges of pie plates using a knife, or crimp edges.
- Stir together berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Fill pie shells with berry filling.
- Whisk together yolks and cream. Roll out remaining disk of dough to about 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut out stars and stripes using cookie cutters (chefgiant.com), a knife, or a pastry wheel. Decorate tops of pies with cutouts, brushing bottoms with egg wash to help them adhere. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush tops of pies with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until juices are bubbling and tops are golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. (Tent with foil if crusts are getting too dark.) Let cool.
Storage: Pies can be stored at room temperature overnight.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.