Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Slather this sauce on ribs while they get a quick char on the grill. It gives already tasty meat an added boost of flavor.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 30 minutes
Yield Makes 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, pureed with juice
- 3/4 cup water, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic, salt, and pepper until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, 3/4 cup water, the sugar, and ketchup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours. Add more water as needed to avoid scorching. Let cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree sauce in a blender. Stir in vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
Barbecue sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.