- Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes (http://www.marthastewart.com/261906/yellow-buttermilk-cupcakes), or <a href="/recipe/one-bowl-chocolate-cupcakes">One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes</a>
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream for Cupcakes (http://www.marthastewart.com/254870/swiss-meringue-buttercream-for-cupcakes)
- 1 to 2 cups green sanding sugar
- 18 round white candies, such as candy-coated mint balls
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (3 to 4 sheets finely ground in a food processor)
- Using an offset spatula, spread each cupcake with a smooth layer of buttercream. Pour green sanding sugar into a small bowl. Dip tops of frosted cupcakes in the sugar, then sprinkle more on top to coat completely.
- To create putting greens, make flags (you will need 18): Cut out lengths (3 to 4 inches) from white grosgrain ribbon. Fold each length around one end of a wooden skewer, and adhere folded sides together with hot glue or double-sided tape. Cut ribbon into a triangle shape, and plant the skewer into a cupcake. Place a small white candy "ball" near the flag.
- To create sand traps, spoon about 1 teaspoon graham-cracker crumbs in the center of each of 6 cupcakes. With your thumb, make an indentation in the middle of each pile of crumbs, shifting it to one side to form a steeper side or to form an irregularly shaped trap. Refrigerate 30 minutes to allow frosting to set.
You could create an entire course by decorating 18 cupcakes with different numbered flags, and the remaining six with sand traps.