- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (such as safflower)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice or 2 pounds fresh plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, and raisins. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and jamlike, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool completely.
To store, refrigerate up to 1 week.