Chewy Almond Orange Cookies
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Martha Stewart Living, May 2000
Yield Makes about 2 1/2 dozen
- 3 1/2 ounces slivered almonds (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Zest of 2 oranges, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, blend almonds with 1/2 cup sugar until almonds are finely ground. Transfer almond mixture to a medium bowl. Sift in flour. Add orange zest and crushed anise seed; stir to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites, salt, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar to soft glossy peaks. Fold egg-white mixture into dry ingredients until just blended.
- Spoon level tablespoons of batter 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Sift confectioners' sugar over cookies. Bake until cookies are lightly browned along edges, about 12 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from sheets with a spatula.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.