This recipe is used to make our Swedish Gingerbread House, Gingerbread Facade, and Snow-Swept Gingerbread Cottage.
Martha Stewart Living, Holiday 2009
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- Scant 1 cup water, plus more if needed
- With an electric mixer on low speed, beat ingredients until fluffy, 7 to 8 minutes. Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container (royal icing hardens quickly when exposed to air) and refrigerate up to 1 week. Stir well with a flexible spatula before using.
- Thin icing as needed by stirring in additional
water, one teaspoon at a time. For piping
designs, add just enough water that icing is no
longer stiff; for floodwork, add water until
icing is the consistency of honey.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.