Raspberry Cupcakes with Pink Buttercream and Lacy Chocolate Hearts
To make the hearts, see our Chocolate Filigree Hearts how-to.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2010
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) raspberries, 1 container pureed, 1 container coarsely chopped
- Gel-paste food coloring, in Tulip Red (optional; <a href="http://sugarcraft.com" target="_blank">sugarcraft.com</a>)
- Pink Buttercream (http://www.marthastewart.com/283302/pink-buttercream)
- <a href="/goodthings/chocolate-filigree-hearts">Chocolate Filigree Hearts</a>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with baking cups.
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Beat butter with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add sugar in a slow, steady stream, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl, and beat until smooth.
- Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in pureed and chopped raspberries and a small drop of food coloring.
- Divide batter among baking cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks for 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes, and let cool completely. Decorate with pink buttercream and lacy chocolate hearts.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.