Pork Chops with Onion Compote
Martha Stewart Living, April 2008
- Prep Time 10 min.
- Total Time 35 min.
- Yield Serves 4
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 bone-in pork chops (1 inch thick, about 9 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season chops generously with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear chops until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to the oven, and cook to desired doneness. (Cook until a meat thermometer registers 140 degrees for medium-rare, about 5 minutes.) Transfer to a serving plate. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add wine to onions, and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over pork chops. Serve with lemon wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.