Boston Cream Pie
Everyday Food, April 2006
Yield Makes one 9-inch cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Pastry Cream Filling for Boston Cream Pie Pastry Cream Filling for Boston Cream Pie (http://www.marthastewart.com/260256/pastry-cream-filling-for-boston-cream-pi)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: Lightly butter a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan, and line with parchment paper. Butter parchment, and sprinkle with sugar, tapping out excess; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk eggs and egg yolks on medium speed for 1 minute. Gradually add sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat milk and butter until hot in a small saucepan over medium heat; being careful not to boil the milk. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. With mixer still running, slowly add hot milk to egg mixture. Gradually add flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, leaving the cake bottom-side up. Let cool completely.
- Make the glaze: In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring heavy cream to a boil. Place chocolate in a medium bowl, and pour cream over chocolate, stirring until chocolate is melted and well combined. Set aside to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- To assemble cake: Remove pastry cream from refrigerator. Beat with a stiff whisk until cream is smooth. Split cake in two even layers; spread bottom half with the pastry cream filling. Top with remaining layer. Pour glaze over center of cake, allowing it to spread, covering top and dripping down the sides. Chill cake for 20 minutes before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.