Black Peppered Mussels
Yield Serves 1 as an appetizer
- 20 to 24 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 25 to 30 freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving
- Place the mussels in a medium skillet. Grind half of the pepper over mussels. Cover, and place over high heat. Cook until the mussels open,
1 1/2 to 2 minutes. If there is not enough liquid released from the mussels it may be necessary to add a few tablespoons of water to steam the mussels.
- As soon as the mussels have opened, transfer to a serving bowl. Grind remaining pepper over mussels. Serve with lemon wedges and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.