Prepare the pie ahead of time, and refrigerate overnight. Bake the next day and have an impressive main course or an excellent addition to a buffet table.
Everyday Food, September 2003
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 6
Yield Serves 4 to 6
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 8 phyllo sheets, thawed
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add beef, cayenne, cinnamon, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until beef is browned, about 10 minutes. Add almonds and parsley; cook 3 minutes more. Let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, season eggs with salt and pepper; add milk, and whisk to combine. Fold into beef mixture.
- Lay 1 phyllo sheet on a clean work surface. Brush lightly with oil; lay another sheet on top, staggering corners. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and oil, rotating sheets slightly each time. Gently place dough in an 8-inch pie plate; fill with mixture. Fold edges over top. Brush with oil. Bake until golden brown and filling is set, 20 to 25 minutes. Dust top with sugar and cinnamon. Serve hot, sliced into wedges.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.